Thank you for your interest in applying to one of our programs.
Current opportunities for artists are listed below. Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or (803) 779-4571.
701 Center for Contemporary Art (CCA) is seeking artists to develop and execute site-specific works for five gate houses located on the grounds of the historic Granby and Olympia Mills as part of CCA’s Mill District Public Art Trail. The mills are twin Romanesque Revival style, four-story structures designed by W.B. Smith Whaley & Company - the leading mill architects of their time. Once considered two of the most architecturally significant textile mills in South Carolina, today the two massive buildings have been repurposed for residential mill living.
701 Center for Contemporary Art invites applications for our Artist-in-Residence Program.
CCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to advance the understanding, enjoyment, and appreciation of contemporary art, the creative process, and the role of art and artists in the community.
We host an Artist-in-Residence Program in a 1,200 square-foot live/work unit adjacent to our gallery on the second floor of 701 Whaley Street, in Columbia, South Carolina.
Professional artists are selected for a residency through a competitive selection process and may be regional, national or international. Residency length is determined in consultation with the artist upon invitation. Residencies are flexible in length, and may last 2, 4, or up to 12 weeks. (12-week residencies are generally expected to be followed by an exhibition -- though not all the work for the exhibition is expected to be produced during the residency.)
Artists in residence at CCA are paid a stipend to support their residency, and are offered a materials budget. All artists in residence are expected to involve the community through special programming (e.g., workshops, talks, etc.).
We review residency applications on a rolling basis. Thank you for your interest!
Call for Submissions – SC Biennial 2023
701 Center for Contemporary Art in Columbia, SC seeks submissions for the 701 CCA South Carolina Biennial 2023, the center’s seventh survey exhibition of work by contemporary South Carolina artists.
The exhibition will be held at the center in two parts with openings in November 2023 and January 2024.
Artists working in all media and styles are encouraged to apply. Artists must be a current resident of South Carolina.
Biennial Part I- November 17 – December 30, 2023
Biennial Part II- January 12 – February 25, 2024
A panel of three jurors representing local, regional, and national perspectives will review submitted materials and select artists for the exhibition.
A 701 CCA curatorial team will select works for the exhibition from submitted images and when needed, through studio visits.
The jurors will be announced after all submissions are reviewed.
Submissions for the 701 CCA South Carolina Biennial 2023 should be made via Submittable (link below) and include the following:
- Ten images of work produced in the last two years that are representative of what will be available for inclusion in the Biennial.
- Images should be in a jpeg format with a minimum size of 1024 wide x 768 high ppi (pixels per inch) at 300 dpi resolution.
- File names should be numbered 1 through 10 followed by the artist’s last name and title of the work.
Example: 2_Smith_Good Morning.jpg
- List of Images:
- Create a PDF list of your images with the following information:
File name, year, medium, and dimensions (H x W for 2-D; H x W x D for 3-D).
- Brief Statement: Create a PDF with a statement, not to exceed 200 words, about your work and how it addresses your intent.
Example: “I use recycled materials to address my concerns with climate change.”
- Resume/CV and/or biographical sketch in a PDF, no more than 300 words, that includes the artist’s birth date, place of birth, and where they grew up.
*Artists need to make sure that they have work available for the exhibitions that reflects the art in their submission.
The submission fee is $25.00 per artist. Your payment can be made through Submittable or checks can be made payable to 701 CCA.
All materials should be submitted by Wednesday, August 16, 2023, by 11:59 p.m.
Artists will be notified of the results of the selection process by Wednesday, August 30, 2023.
- Call for Submissions Opens: June 1, 2023
- Submission Deadline: August 16, 2023, 11:59 p.m.
- Jury Panel Meets: Between August 20–23, 2023
- Notification of Selections: August 30, 2023
- Artists’ Notifications to 701 CCA of Unavailable Work: September 3, 2023
- Notification of artists’ selection for Part I or Part II: September 15, 2021
- Delivery work for Part I: November 8-10, 2023
- Part I opens: November 17, 2023
- Artists’ Reception Part I: TBD
- Part I Closes: December 30, 2023
- Pick-up Work Part I: January 3-5, 2024
- Deliver Work for Part II: January 3-5, 2024
- Part II opens: January 12, 2024
- Artists’ Reception Part II: TBD
- Part II Closes: February 25, 2024
- Pick-up Work Part II: February 28-March 1, 2024
*Please submit further inquiries to email@example.com or call Caitlin Bright, Executive Director at 803.319.9949.